We value positive relationships with parents and carers to help develop better social and emotional skills in children. We know that when children are engaged with their learning, they attend school more regularly, leading to better long term outcomes.
For parenting and counselling services, visit the Family Support page, and for direction and clarity on regulations, processes and procedures at our school, read the Sydney Catholic School policies.
All parents are encouraged to be actively involved in the college through the Parent Advisory Group. The Eileen O’Connor Parent Advisory Group recognises and values the role that parents/carers play in the education of their children and aims to strengthen the partnership between family, college, parish and the wider community for the benefit of their children’s overall development and learning.
The Parent Advisory Group will endeavour to do this by:
- Reaching out to all associated with the college to build a friendly and welcoming community that seeks to involve all its members;
- Providing a parental perspective to assist the principal in decision making;
- Acting as a mechanism for representing parents, where appropriate;
- Raising funds to provide resources and opportunities for enriching the learning environment of the college;
- Supporting parents/carers in their parental responsibilities and involvement in their children’s learning at home and at college;
- Providing a forum where matters relating to the education and development of students can be discussed productively;
- Providing opportunities for parents/carers to gain insights into the life of the college, current developments in education and Catholic education in particular.
Our college strives to keep parents well informed about college news and their children’s progress. The following avenues are used:
- The college app (Compass) is used to keep parents up to date with events at the college. All parents are expected to have the app on their smartphone.
- The college newsletter is produced every second Friday. It is available through the Compass parent portal. Parents receive an email and app alert giving notification that the newsletter is available. The newsletter contains information regarding upcoming college activities, reminders and various items of interest. It is our primary method of regular communication with parents.
- Primary and Stage 6 classes use Seesaw to communicate with parents both work samples and news from the classroom.
Formal parent-teacher interviews are held at the beginning of each college year and at the beginning of Semester 2 and include the collaborative development of personalised plan goals. At other times, parents are welcome to request an interview with their child’s class teacher or a leadership team member should a need arise.